Saturday, May 23, 2009

Blue Jay/Garden Week 4 Update

Blue Jay Nest
It was a rare couple minutes that the Blue Jay mom was not in her nest.  I crept up under neath it and the mom swooped in to feed her babies .  She did not see me so she again flew off to get more food.  As I was snapping these pictures I kept looking over my shoulder to make sure the protective mother did not try to dive bomb me and try to peck out my eyes like in the Hitchcock movie - The Birds.  That movie really had/has an effect on me.  I think I was 11 or 12 years old when I saw it and it scared me then and I am still scarred by it.

Here they are in all their ugly glory

There were 5 eggs, and I only count 4 beaks, so one didn't hatch or is under those other guys.

Not a good shot

Wow they are gross.

Garden Season 2 Week 4
Zucchini Looking good.  Can't wait for this tasty treat in Zucchini bread


5 Cucumbers, starting to grab onto the trellis

Bell Peppers haven't grown much, hoping they will, Tomatoes are going crazy


The Mystery Patch.  I think I counted 13 pumpkins and 23 melons plants (either cantaloupe or watermelon)
Ruby and Gus, both not allowed within the fence,near the garden.  They both do not  get the idea of not stepping on the green stuff.  She does enough damage throwing her shoes, balls and whatever she can into the garden.

Gus Discovery
I had to take Gus to get his Rabies vaccine, before I could register him with the county.  For those of you not in the Dog loop.  You have to renew their registration every year which is $24 if the dog is spayed or neutered, and a lot more if they are not.  Every other year the Dog needs a rabies shot, which also happens to be $24.  Just like a smog check when you want to register your car, you have to show proof of the vaccine.  Here is the ridiculous part.  The late fee for the registration is $48,  double the registration fee.  

Gus did great with the shot, he didn't even realize it happened.  The Dr. Just gathered up some skin and was done with it.  He said Blood Hounds have a very high pain tolerance.  I could have told him that with all the abuse he takes from Ruby.  

I now know he is 4 years 4 months old, birthday is December 26.  We might have a double Birthday party for him and Ruby in December.  It is only May and Ruby is already planning her Birthday, We will go to Disneyland, and she will get a bike.  We will see if this is how it goes down.

7 comments:

The Trotter Family said...

Eew, those are ugly birds! I need you to take notes on how to garden so I can start one too! Mine will probably be an eighth of the size, but I want to give it a shot!

heather said...

i love that ruby is planning her own party/presents.

and DANG those birdies are ugly! what did i tell you, birds are the devil's animal. the eggs were really pretty though.

Ty * April said...

Katie,
Thanks for the comment and advice. No I don't mind advice, give me all you have. This baby is coming very soon and we need any suggestions that anyone has. Especially Ty, I think he is more nervous than I am. :)
* love your dog. Our poor dog is abused/played with often by Madi also.

kristyn said...

You got some pretty National Geographic-esque shots of the birds waiting to be fed. I agree, they are pretty creepy looking. I guess the newborn/larva stage of most species isn't particularly attractive. I really thought something glorious was going to come from those amazing eggs though.

Cody said...

Thanks for doing that test kitten. I love how we both have appreciation of beauty and excellence; and
creativity ingenuity and originality in our bottom 5. Keep it real TTY

nathan n rachel said...

Katie...

Thanks for the blog link! It was nice to see pictures of what you've been up to. Your girls are adorable.

Berkeley said...

Nice garden. It looks like you know what you're doing. We are considering a Chia Pet but we're not sure if we're ready for that kind of responsibility.